Custom Headboard Ideas
Getting a headboard for your bed can prove to be a daunting task. There are so many options to choose from and even more factors to consider when selecting the right headboard for your home. Sometimes it can be overwhelming to sort through all of the options available and to decide what headboard is exactly right for your room. This article will give you a variety of ideas to consider and a guide on which options suit your situation best.
To be able to choose your bed's headboard appropriately, it is important to keep three things in mind.
- First, consider the design of your room. You want the headboard to be the centerpiece of your room setting the tone for the design and theme of the room.
- Second you also need to consider the height of the ceiling as this determines the height of the headboard.
- Finally, you will need to decide on a budget for the headboard as this will guide you in making decisions on type of material to use and the overall design/features.
- Soft materials: Upholstered headboards using fabric or leather are ideal if you are looking to add a soft touch to your room. If you choose to use an intricate fabric with patterns and colors, you can easily have a modern look while also achieving great comfort.
- Hard materials: These include hardwood and metal, aside from giving your room a classic traditional look, you are also able to get a chic feel from this type of headboard. These materials can also help you achieve bold masculine lines in your room.
- Functionality and art: Another great idea for your bed's headboard is the function and integration of wall art on it. You can get a headboard made with extended shelves or height where you can get space for more room decorations.
- Make it custom: Custom made are easier compared to buying readymade headboards from a store in the sense that you have more freedom in deciding how the final product will look. We're biased, but still. Even if you have no idea what you want, you can communicate your needs to an expert who will make suggestions and give you a range of options to work with.
Top Headboard Ideas
Patterned Upholstered Headboard
A custom patterned headboard can be a good idea if you have a room with very neutral or solid walls and other pieces of furniture. You don't want a patterned upholstered headboard if you have other patterns in your room already because it will look way too busy. If you want your patterned headboard to stand out and make a statement in your room, then keep the rest of the room simple. Here's a good example of a custom patterned fabric headboard we created for a client:
Custom Oversized Beds
A custom oversized headboard can be exactly what your room needs. Trying to make a big statement? This is a good option for you. Many fancy hotel rooms use the oversize headboard look and that's what make those rooms really pop when you walk into the room. We get tons of calls about oversized headboards and can certainly accommodate those requests as all of our headboards are custom made. A popular request is "can you make an oversized headboard all the way up to the ceiling?" While we can make it that tall, we typically recommend any oversized headboards to max out as a 75 - 84-inch headboard at most to leave a little space between the headboard and the ceiling.
Extra Wide Headboards
Another popular look is the extra wide headboard that extends its width beyond the mattress from the left and the right. This look is also very popular in hotel rooms because you can place your end tables in front of the extra wide headboard to fill in the gaps on each side. It's difficult to find these wide headboards in a store or already made in a shop - so you most likely will need to order a custom extra wide headboard from a shop.
Shaped vs. Rectangle Headboards
Most of our customers order either a rectangle shaped headboard or they add a specific type of shape for more design. Rectangle headboards are the most common type of headboard giving a sleek, modern feel. Shaped headboard come in many different forms and can add an enhanced element of style, depending on what you're looking for.
If you would like more advice or have any questions about ideas, style, etc., please do not hesitate to give us a call at 404-227-3340. Or visit our Contact page.
BedBoards Design Co.
Your Choices. Made Simple.